Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 51.3°F | Humidity: 87% | Pressure: 29.94in (Steady) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17846 Subscribers

Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 02/26/17

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2017-02-26 06:15 PM

SBSO and CHP has been on scene searching for a body for awhile unknown if they have found anyone.

COMMENT 760352 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2017-02-26 06:15 PM

My advice would be to get back on the trail and head downhill.

COMMENT 760351 helpful negative off topic

Oscar Watching Venue?

2017-02-26 06:13 PM

@303 I'm sorry you have chosen an incredibly unfortunate reality. Have you ever met an actor or been to a play?

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2017-02-26 06:08 PM

Search and Rescue page going out...

COMMENT 760349 helpful negative off topic

Water Bill Questions

2017-02-26 05:57 PM

Yes, quite often.

COMMENT 760348 helpful negative off topic

Beautiful Wooden Horse

2017-02-26 04:44 PM

Sounds like the poster and posters been tokin on too many crooked cigarettes!

COMMENT 760347P helpful negative off topic

Oscar Watching Venue?

2017-02-26 04:26 PM

Twitler is sure trying to be someone else, but he lacks the proper moustache.

COMMENT 760346 helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 04:24 PM

Re: Ramona Price:

We can't forget about 3 year old Todd Collett who disappeared only 2 years later about 2 miles away from where Mona vanished. Yet the cops don't think they are related....

COMMENT 760345P helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 04:08 PM

311. Yes. And a friend of mine (years and years ago) picked up a black trash bag on an onramp near the DMV, because it looked like it might contain something other than trash. That "score" ended up being a whole slew of diving equipment worth a lot of money. The owners couldn't be located, so my pal shared some things with friends and sold the rest about a year later and made several hundred dollars.

I often drive back to check things out. Twice I have found money (wallet, purse) and once I helped a very large and stunned raccoon off the road, into the bushes. He recovered and took off.

COMMENT 760344 helpful negative off topic

Circle V Ranch Receives Donation fr...

2017-02-26 04:02 PM

I went to this camp almost sixty years agowhen it was located in a coastal canyon west of Malibu. Not a touch of religious indoctrination then. Some cowboy lore, some outdoorsy stuff, some hand crafts. I think it was about $100 per kid back in the day. The usual camp counselors - unemployable teen agers. A really great vacation for parents.

COMMENT 760343 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 03:59 PM

314 here, I should have noted these were the stats for fatal accidents and one can see the only difference is distractions are more prevalent in all crashes but not when they are fatal. It also clearly said 90% are on routine roadway as on HWY 101, HWY 166 or Hwy 154 verses east or west Camino Cielo and similar or even dirt and gravel roads.

read complete comment thread

MACSCIDOR helpful negative off topic

Tree Falls on Power Lines in Hollis...

2017-02-26 03:37 PM

Those are some absolutely perfect photos. Wonderful to see exactly what the problem was with our power outage Saturday morning. Thank you so much for posting.

LEAVESOF3 helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 03:24 PM

Too bad we can't vote that first Red-tailed couple Pic of the Day. I herein cast my vote for that photo.

LEAVESOF3 helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 03:23 PM

RR. No kidding. And we are not alone regarding this. I agree with as-is. If it ain't broke, leave it natural open space.

COMMENT 760338 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 03:08 PM

314 I think you meant to say its routine roadway every time, 70% of the time. FACTS

COMMENT 760337 helpful negative off topic

RV Carpet Installer

2017-02-26 03:02 PM

I could make a carpet burn joke here but I won't.

COMMENT 760336 helpful negative off topic

Historical Storm Rumor?

2017-02-26 02:46 PM

Thank you all for your (sobering) accounts and memories. In fairness to my husband, I had also added the detail that they never found the man. Clearly, I was wrong on that score.

COMMENT 760335 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 02:44 PM

314... Good start but still doesn't explain how a vehicle ends up on it's roof all by itself.

I get that going off an embankment will have that effect or just going off the side of the road that is steeply slanted ergo keeping the rubber on the road is of tantamount importance. But what of the rollovers that don't involve going off road? Or do they all involve OHV impersonations (for whatever reason)?

read complete comment thread

ANIMALLISTNER helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 02:19 PM

Our family has made yearly donations to help make this happen! Finally some great news for conservation

COMMENT 760333P helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 02:11 PM

Thank you PF, I wasn't sure if they were the hawks or the falcons.

read complete comment thread

RICHYRICH helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 02:03 PM

Good thing that people like Jill Zachary will not be involved in this "minor grooming". Next thing you know they'd be cutting down the eucalyptus trees because they're not native!

MFITCH54 helpful negative off topic

March Edness Begins Soon!

2017-02-26 01:17 PM

MARCH EDDDDNNNNNESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
Gentlemen start your engines!!
I have been watching for this announcement. I am so excited and I can't wait to win, I mean, play and see who wins!

All the best to all of you players!

COMMENT 760330 helpful negative off topic

RV Carpet Installer

2017-02-26 01:02 PM

T.J's carpet

COMMENT 760329 helpful negative off topic

'Curie-osity' Project Unites Girls ...

2017-02-26 12:57 PM

Kudos to UCSB and Girls Inc!

I'm also in my 60's and an engineer. I remember getting my first job, looking around, and saying "hey, it's all guys!". I also wondered why so many people smoked cigarettes but that's a different story. When women started showing up in the tech departments in the late 80's, there were a few guys who had a problem with it. It was as if their boxers were all bunched up.

How things have changed since then. Smoke-filled offices are gone. The once white male tech workforce is now much more diverse from a gender and ethnicity viewpoint. But men still outnumber women in tech. We need to remove whatever cultural/institutional barriers remain to fully reap a win-win.

read complete comment thread

POWDRELL helpful negative off topic

Goleta and Water

2017-02-26 12:53 PM

Great article, Tom. Thanks for doing all the research and sharing it with us.

COMMENT 760327 helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 12:44 PM

This property needs a real bridge at the creek crossing near Elwood Beach Drive/Phelps Road. This is a bottleneck where many people pass through. I built a small wooden bridge and maintained it myself for 5 years. It serves as a critical link in the (fortunately rare) wet season. Others have continued to maintain and improve this bridge for the last 5 years after I stopped doing the work, but a real bridge is needed that spans the entire creek because the bridge is underwater at times.

COMMENT 760326P helpful negative off topic

Circle V Ranch Receives Donation fr...

2017-02-26 12:34 PM

Don't be the skunk at the garden party, 324P.

Church affiliated summer camps are not what you think!

Kids have a blast & the parents are appreciative to have the experience for their children.

Lastly, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul does a lot of good here in S.B. County, especially in the Santa Ynez Valley.

COMMENT 760325 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 12:26 PM

Here is some fax for 2016:

Top 10 Leading Causes of Crashes in the US according to the latest statistical data released by the Department of Transportation include:

1. Distractions while Driving – Typically this is due to illegal use of cell phones but other causes include reaching over to tune the radio, talking to passengers and believe it or not, lighting a cigarette while trying to handle the wheel.
2. Over the Speed Limit (Speeding)
3. DUI (Drunk Driving)
4. Reckless / Careless Driving

5. Weather (Especially Rain)
6. Failure to Stop at Traffic Lights
7. Failure to Stop at Stop Signs
8. Teen Drivers 9. Impaired Vision of Night Driving
10. Defects within the Design of the Vehicle

COMMENT 760324P helpful negative off topic

Circle V Ranch Receives Donation fr...

2017-02-26 12:17 PM

Marvelous. Summer camp for kids is something we should all support. Religious indoctrination, not so much.

EARO65 helpful negative off topic

Water Bill Questions

2017-02-26 11:49 AM

I agree that the Goleta Water District should be investigated, by the State, not local authorities. I also think there is a bit of baksheesh trading in that organization.

COMMENT 760322P helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 11:48 AM

Ellwood with two 'l' s. Autocorrect can be tough to monitor.

COMMENT 760321P helpful negative off topic

Ellwood Mesa: A Story of Preservati...

2017-02-26 11:46 AM

At the end of this article by McConnell, she states that Elwood Mesa is in need of maintenance, upkeep, such like. I suppose if and when money is available, we will all see "improvements" made and proposals for "grooming" of this open space.

The only improvements and grooming needed are a bit of trail maintenance, removal of grafitti as soon as it's seen and perhaps a less glaring sign than the one now installed near the monarch's main aggregation area.

A recycling bin or two, and trash bins at entrances to the bluffs would be ideal. Otherwise, "As-is" please.

EARO65 helpful negative off topic

Traffic Accident Near La Cumbre Cen...

2017-02-26 11:44 AM

I did watch KEYT last night, for the weather report. However, this, and the one on the closer of Hollister for hours, were not reported. Don't they have any reporters left? How newsworthy must things be to get coverage?

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 11:25 AM

@314: A big THANK YOU for these figures. Perhaps the speculationists amongst us will find solace in the knowledge that not every accident can be blamed on cellphone use.

COMMENT 760318P helpful negative off topic

'Curie-osity' Project Unites Girls ...

2017-02-26 11:24 AM

Great town-gown (local community with UCSB) collaboration. I'm now in my 60s, and vividly remember having no female professors in certain disciplines. My sister was on of the first female physics grad students. I was one of only a handful of female computer professionals at UCSB when I worked there (for decades). In the same way that racial or ethnic minorities aspire to see more representation in certain professions or at higher management levels, women need more representation in STEM. I hope this helps to eventually achieve that.

COMMENT 760317P helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 11:23 AM

PF. You beat me to it. Nice pics of those hawks.

read complete comment thread

PF helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 11:19 AM

Wonderful pictures, thank you. One correction: the two "falcons" are actually a pair of Red-tailed hawks (male and female). Falcons can be identified by their grey to black sideburns and "helmets".

COMMENT 760314 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 11:12 AM

Facts 90% routine roadway, straight or slight curve; 75% rural, 40% speed, 50% alcohol with lesser incidents or combinations of driver fatigue, weather conditions, driver inattentiveness or distractions.

COMMENT 760313 helpful negative off topic

Rincon Surf Fashion

2017-02-26 11:02 AM

Love the Born Wild shirt on that little girl... I wish all adults would remember the love they had for animals as children. Maybe then we could work to prevent extinction. Thanks for this great bunch of photos. LOVE the Rincon Classic!

COMMENT 760312 helpful negative off topic

John Palminteri Tests Police Device

2017-02-26 10:40 AM

177 I watched the video that was released many times. If you knew anything about police work you could easily see that officer was trying to take that very large man to the ground (standard procedure to arrest and handcuff as suspect) and had reached up and put him in a head lock. It was not a "choke hold" Someone really being choked would not be able to say loudly and repeatedly "I can't breath"!! Mr. Garners difficulty breathing was a result of asthma and gross obesity. The whole scenario was distorted and exaggerated by the anti-police crowd and sensation mongering media who are quick to claim "police brutality over and over, usually to divert attention from the illegal conduct of the person being arrested and to smear the police.

COMMENT 760311 helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 10:13 AM

Yep, when I worked a night shift, getting off work at 4am, and with a baby at home, and only getting a few hours of sleep every day, I would hallucinate while driving home from work. I was very "self aware", and knew I was hallucinating. One time, I was sure I saw puppies on the side of the freeway, as I slowed down, got close to see it was just a bush. Another time I saw a baby bear, and in that case I got off the freeway, went back to make sure, and it turned out to be a black trash bag!!!

COMMENT 760310P helpful negative off topic

Goleta and Water

2017-02-26 10:06 AM

Well done!! The huge increase in population plus the change in nature of human activity over time -- these are major factors in understanding multiple environmental issues.

read complete comment thread

ZEBRA STRIPES helpful negative off topic

Beautiful Wooden Horse

2017-02-26 10:03 AM

The Horse's Head! My son and I loved walking or riding bikes to The Horse's Head when we lived in Carp. Often we would meet there when I would get off of work, coming from different directions. It was fun to make that plan and look forward to it during the day. Great memories from the '90's. I am so glad it is still so beautiful. I have some great photos at that spot, back in the pre-digital day. Thank you for posting this nice pic. I will email a link to my son.

COMMENT 760308 helpful negative off topic

Daily Law Breaking

2017-02-26 09:57 AM

@001 ... how about just "people"?

COMMENT 760307 helpful negative off topic

Vehicle Rollover On Hwy 166

2017-02-26 09:56 AM

With all these reports of single vehicle rollovers it'd sure be nice to learn HOW they occur (just the facts ma'am) so we might learn to avoid such behaviours or maneuvers.

I can speculate as well as the next person but that'd be opinion only and there's way too many of those swirling already.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Brush Fire in Lompoc Canyon

2017-02-26 09:39 AM

249, Perfect! Thanks, I totally agree

COMMENT 760305 helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 09:34 AM

Great photos! Thanks for sharing with us!

read complete comment thread

SBROCKS helpful negative off topic

Rincon Surf Fashion

2017-02-26 09:20 AM

Fun great shots!

COMMENT 760303 helpful negative off topic

Oscar Watching Venue?

2017-02-26 09:19 AM

We are planning on watching at home with a few friends, ordering take-out (pizza from Sal's, Chicken Ranch, and crispy tacos from Rudy's). We are hoping against all odds that the Oscars will be a civil event, and not a non-stop whine & winge session about politics. The Golden Globes showed us just how disconnected Hollywood is. In the end, these people are actors....people who do not like who they really are, and have a need to be someone else who they are not. And why, why, WHY all of the violent movies?

COMMENT 760302 helpful negative off topic

1928 Tri-Motor Available for Tours

2017-02-26 09:18 AM

Nice pix and description. captures the mood well. Thanks for sharing.

COMMENT 760301P helpful negative off topic

Stunning Sights

2017-02-26 09:02 AM

So very beautiful. Thank you!

COMMENT 760300P helpful negative off topic

Man Airlifted to Hospital After Veh...

2017-02-26 08:33 AM

Why do you infer that the driver was texting? There is nothing in the story to indicate that this was the case. Perhaps unwarranted knee-jerk speculation should be held until facts are presented.

COMMENT 760299 helpful negative off topic

Tree Falls on Power Lines in Hollis...

2017-02-26 08:24 AM

Classic shot of the pole - woodpeckers worked on that one a long time

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Oscar Watching Venue?

2017-02-26 08:20 AM

I've heard of parties for Oscar watching where the guests dress in their finest, have great food, and sort of pretend they are there.

COMMENT 760297 helpful negative off topic

Water Level

2017-02-26 08:20 AM

I've lived in Phoenix Az. Trust me sb is not a desert. Lol

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Down River

2017-02-26 08:18 AM

Fantastic pictures, John. Thank you. I haven't been to Juncal or Gibralter in many years, when we rode horses over there. Nice to see them again.

COMMENT 760295P helpful negative off topic

Water Level

2017-02-26 08:18 AM

190 Indeed, thank you - a Mediterranean climate for the coast.

COMMENT 760294 helpful negative off topic

Beautiful Wooden Horse

2017-02-26 08:14 AM

Jesus Christ that's a super photo!

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Tree Falls on Power Lines in Hollis...

2017-02-26 08:13 AM

That telephone is so riddled with woodpecker holes it looks like it should have been replaced long ago.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Beautiful Wooden Horse

2017-02-26 08:09 AM

Great photo, thanks. My husband and I ride our bikes on the Carp bluffs and pass this guy everyday, love him. I think he's looked like that for the 40 years we've been here.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 08:07 AM

073, It was horrible about Ramona Price. As I recall from reports at the time, the family was moving to a home close by where they lived. Ramona wanted to walk to the new place so was allowed to go alone. Not a big deal in those days, she was old enough to safely walk there. So very sad.

COMMENT 760290P helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 08:06 AM

Better to call than not call.

COMMENT 760289P helpful negative off topic

Loki

2017-02-26 07:45 AM

Loki is a beauty, and so is his brother, Jingo. We adopted bonded brother and sister kittens a couple of years ago, and it's wonderful to see them together.

COMMENT 760287 helpful negative off topic

Water Bill Questions

2017-02-26 07:39 AM

As long as the meter is read (by human, or electronically), it should all pan out in the end, if they are estimating on certain months. I imagine this would have to occur in some areas these past rain storms considering some meter boxes were completely full of murky water.

read complete comment thread

SUPERBEE helpful negative off topic

Bee Swarm

2017-02-26 07:39 AM

Great picture. When bees swarm they are usually very gentle but it is good to give them about 10 ft clearance. Most swarms stay in place 72 hours or less than move on. One thing we have been noticing more and more is that when they move on they decide to move into a building roof especially homes with vents holes with 1/4 inch or larger screen. If you need help with bee problems make sure you look for a professional with good reviews, licensed and insured. #beesafe

read complete comment thread

TMO helpful negative off topic

Goleta and Water

2017-02-26 07:38 AM

Read the whole story here....http://goletahistory.com/goleta-and-water/

read complete comment thread

STRAY helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 07:34 AM

Here's the unabridged scanner report:

"A tumbleweed was sighted along highway 101 for 4 years. No one stopped to pick up."

COMMENT 760284 helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 07:19 AM

Regarding Ramona Price.

Does anyone recall Margaret Anderson? Anderson may have attended Harding School in the late 50's through early 60's.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Toddler on Side of Freeway on Hwy 1...

2017-02-26 06:49 AM

Tumble weed that looked like a 4 year old boy with brown hair wearing a blue shirt.

COMMENT 760282P helpful negative off topic

Rincon Surf Fashion

2017-02-26 06:35 AM

Great pics and a whole different view! Love the kids!

COMMENT 760281P helpful negative off topic

John Palminteri Tests Police Device

2017-02-26 12:02 AM

I think perhaps 231 was being sardonic.

read complete comment thread

59% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #